Friday, November 9, 2012

Green Ribbons

We have learned that for some, it is not the right time to take down their green ribbons.  That is fine with us!  We still have ours up at home, most notably on the tree in the yard where we took the photo of Lydia this fall.  We extend to each of you the full freedom to choose when you want to take your ribbons down.  There is still much prayer needed, so let us continue on together (with or without green ribbons) in Romans 12:12  Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
Below are two different emails we received about this matter.  To both individuals, and the many who carry our family in prayer, we thank you for your petitions and prayers.

I have not taken down our green ribbons yet. I go to do it and then I can't. Today I was wondering with God, "where does this green ribbon belong?" No longer does the sight of it bring me to my knees with petitioning tears,  however the days of petitioning are not yet over....the days of asking for God to carry you and sustain you remain. And so they'll stay up a little longer....

I don't want to take my green ribbon down yet. I feel it is a symbol of hope and prayer. I don't want people to forget what happened and to continue to pray for Lydia and your family. It is like the poppy. Let us not forget, ... 

Everyone in our household is feeling under the weather, and at various stages of a cold.  For the boys, it is nearly over.  For the rest of us, it is just beginning with sniffles, aching bodies and scratchy, sore throats.  This is the first time that Lydia has been sick since her accident.  We all know how lousy it feels.  For Lydia, who can fixate on things, it feels insurmountable!  In her bed, body aching, she moaned: "I may not recover from this cold.  I don't know if I'll get up tomorrow!"  We laughed and encouraged her that after all that she has lived through, surely a cold is not going to keep her down!  We had to help her see that in a couple of days, she would be feeling better again.
(Perhaps this is some of the reason for her difficult last few days, and her higher emotional needs.)

In this blog, the last word goes to Lydia.  She requested several times today that I say, on her behalf:
"Thank you everyone for praying for me.  I really appreciate it.  (pause) And no offense intended, but green isn't my favourite colour any more!"  It's all about turquoise now. Such is life with a teenager !