Saturday, September 8, 2012

Lydia's short term memory deficits can be comical and heart warming at times.  She says "hi" and greets us very regularly, almost every time we re enter the room she is in, and indication that she has forgotten that she just saw us.  When James and I were with her at Sick Kids on Wednesday, sitting on either side of her in the waiting room, with full sincerity, while talking with James, she said, " I miss Mommy.  Where is Mommy?"  I was sitting outside of her peripheral vision, and she forgot that I was there.  Another time, an Aunt came to see her, and she was delighted to visit with her.  Lydia had a brief washroom break, and upon exiting, she say her aunt again and exclaimed "Oh my gosh - Auntie, it is so good to see you!"  Her delight was great.  She had no recollection of having seen her five minutes earlier.
Today has been a mixed day, with beautiful moments and with hard times and turbulent emotions.  Lydia exhibited classic Rancho level 4 symptoms of confusion and agitation.  One minute she would be raging out of control, the next, calm, polite and contained.  She could flip emotions on a dime.  Due to her confusion, she can overreact to what she sees, hears or feels by hitting, screaming or using abusive language.  Today she used the s word with her brother, repeatedly calling him "stupid".  This is completely uncharacteristic of Lydia!   With some coaxing, in a lucid moment, she apologized profusely to him.
Lydia needs regular rest.  Today she napped at 10:30, 2:00 and 4:30.  All this in addition to a beautiful night's sleep.  Thank you for your prayers.  Lydia slept very well last night - almost 11 hours.
We are hoping for another good night tonight to help lessen some of the confusion and agitation characteristic to this stage of her recovery.
Psalm 23
The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside the still waters,
He restores my soul.